Monday 8 July 2013

EPQ Proposal

I propose to produce a lifestyle magazine with a target audience of Birmingham City University students, and a clear illustrative theme running throughout the magazine.

I chose to give my magazine an illustrative theme to it as I feel not enough magazines showcase illustration in their issues, therefore I feel there is a gap in the market for an alternate to the sleek, modern look most lifestyle magazines are aiming for these days. I also think the illustrative style can be a great way to inject a bit of colour and art into a magazine, giving it an unusual appearance that will make it stand out from the rest of the market.

I also chose to make my target market to be students at Birmingham City University as being a student myself I feel I understand what kinds of things students want to do, what they like to eat, and also understand how much money students have spare, so understand what they can and cannot afford. I also chose Birmingham City University as living near Birmingham I have good knowledge of the things to do in and around Birmingham, more so than I would cities I have little or no knowledge of.

To produce my magazine, I intend to research other lifestyle magazines, fashion magazines and also student magazines, to get an idea of the types of topics, content and the layout of a variety of different magazines, to see what each of them have in common, and therefore may lead me to believe I should include those things I my magazine also, such as cookery sections, fashion sections, travel sections and even letters from the editor, to ensure my magazine will sell as well as it’s competitors.

I also aim to research different styles of illustration and experiment with each different style to see which would be best suited to my magazine. I will also research the existing types of illustration in magazines, so I know what is already available in the shops, and therefore produce illustrations of my own that aren’t an exact replica of those already available.

Whilst producing this magazine I also aim to have a strong photographic element to it, such as producing fashion shoots, and taking photographs to include in my magazine myself, as I feel imagery is a very important aspect of a magazine, and shouldn’t be lacking in presence. To ensure my magazines photographic element is of a high standard, I will be researching photographers and the styles and contents of their photo-shoots to take inspiration from them, which could help me when producing my own photo-shoots for my magazine.

I not only want my magazine to be informative and helpful for students, but I also want it to be aesthetically pleasing as well, which is why I feel photo-shoots and illustrations are an important part of my magazine. Although it won’t be just about the imagery, I wish to include articles about relevant an interesting topics, either written by myself or by contributors to my magazine.

I aim to use techniques such as drawing skills and different medias such as pencil crayons, watercolours and fine liner, combining them with computer software’s such as PhotoShop and Illustrator. By doing this I hope my magazine will be both modern and express high-tech techniques and styles, but also combining with them with more traditional techniques and medias, but both combining to produce and colourful and bold style.

No comments:

Post a Comment